Hello lovely, beautiful Autumn! What a stunning time of year.
There is something about the scent of the breeze and the sunlight though century old trees in the gardens which leaves me feeling positively giddy. It’s that, or a side effect of the antibiotics I’m on. Either way I’m deliriously happy and for the first time in a very long time feel an energy that has been misplaced for much too long.
Whilst I’m currently not acquiring any new patterns/fabrics I did make a sly exception for the new Davie dress from Sewaholic. An unusually timed afternoon delivery of Art Gallery fabric from fabric.com and Sew Squirrel, had three boys running up to my room with a box unashamedly marked FABRIC in neon, and a sly comment from Bruce that perhaps my self imposed ban had been breached. I chose not to acknowledge directly, mentioned I hadn’t bought fabric since September last year (apart from the Liberty that was 1/3 funded by a gift voucher) and declared it a minor slip up ; ).
Firstly, the fabric. I don’t often sew with knits, let alone drapey jerseys, so I was a little miffed (love that word) when laying it out that the grain line was in no way running the direction in which it was supposed to. No matter how I manipulated it, it was running off at at least 25% off from the salvage line. I’ve not come across this before, but was reassured by a number of seamstresses on insta that it is not uncommon.
I persisted, thinking that if it wasn’t wearable I could make it my new nighty, however it turns out that jersey is incredibly forgiving and I now have a beautiful Easter dress. I think if this was a woven it would have ended up in the quilting pile.
I cut a straight size 8, and didn’t add my usual 2.5cm at the waist. This was a) because the lengthen/shorten lines were not marked on the pattern and it would require some thinking and measuring on my part to place my line across the four pattern pieces and b) because there isn’t a seam across the waistline I thought the extra length would not be missed. Luckily with laziness and a little foresight (critical thinking and I have not the time to consider this!) it all worked out. I also omitted the key hole given the fabric was so busy (thanks for the advice Ms E!).
Some notes on the pattern. I think I could definitely go down a size next time. The photos show excess fabric pooling at the back. I’ll most likely send it through the overlocker to bring in some of the seams. I sewed View A with the cap sleeve and additional length. It has a lovely flare at the bottom which picks up nicely in the breeze.The shaping as always is perfect for Pips.
I overlocked all my seems and overlocked and turned once the hem and arm holes. I really liked the finish on the neck. Using a woven bias, it stops the neckline stretching out and gives it a really stable shape. I happened upon some Hello Kitty Liberty bias I made last year in my stash which was perfect. Total machine sewing time was about 40 minutes! And after I checked that the fabric was behaving itself in dress form, I even ventured out on Saturday to pick up some top stitching thread.
So the verdict is I love it! I wore it today, and as Ned Flanders once put it so succinctly: “It’s like I’m wearing nothing at all”. He really does know his fashion speak.
The dress also sits nicely over my Granville shirt, so next I plan to make View C in a stable black ponte. With the shorter sleeve and skirt length and some top stitching, it should replace my currentRTW winter dress.
I talked Bruce into dragging my favourite chair outside for the photos but I seemed to suffer from the sun glare. 5 minutes in the sun, and my skin starts to bubble (literally!). My recent drivers licence has me looking positively vampiric. I wish I had’ve dyed my hair, worn black lace and dark lipstick that day. The goth in me shall never move on!
Photos by Bruce. Tea cup gifted from Parjie and R from a deceased estate. Tights from Wolford. Shoes from Duck Feet. Locket from Den Supply Co. Hair pieces from Gardens of Whimsey.